Sunday

sweet water memories

This is my 3rd winter in the Northlands, my third season of months on end of snow and ice. We have had two large storms in the last week and I have realized that I need to change my perspective on snow. I do not want to just endure, I want to rejoice . This desire to rejoice, even in the midst of windchills and ice and deep snow brought me to Psalm 148.

Psalm 148 is a psalm of praise: Hallal YHWH over and over. Praise Him! Praise Him! Tucked away in the list of that which praises YHWH, I discovered snow...snow praising Him! If snow praises our Heavenly Father, then I definitely need a new perspective on it.

There are many verses in scripture that speak of snow and teach us that snow is from Him just as everything else is....His breath blows it, His storehouses store it. One verse brought home to me the issue I had been having with snow: fear.

Prov 31

"She is not afraid of the snow for her household, For all her household are clothed with scarlet"

Thank you Father for bringing me to this place of recognizing my fear...fear that keeps me from resting in your love. Thank you for allowing me to see the beauty of what I would not see before.

As I read the scriptures on snow I was reminded of the source of water. There comes a time in the seasons when the snow that has laid upon the ground begins to melt...begins to flow and replenish those places the need this life- giving water. Here in the Northlands a beautiful creek is behind our home. Right now it is frozen ,suspended....covered in snow. With spring it will become a gigantic, gushing flow that speeds down the mountain and into Lake Superior. The power of this melting off is amazing and forceful.

When I was younger, my favorite place to get away and think was a spot up on the Mogollon Rim called Horton Springs. This spring came right out of the side of the Rim and the water was sweet, pure and cold. Obviously it is and was fed by the melting snows. There is a connection between the snow and the water that I was not willingy to see or appreciate until this weekend.

Thank you Father...thank you for new perspectives.


Horton Springs

Close Window

No comments: