Monday

the effort to reunify the self

I always enjoy finding books that I have not read yet by favorite authors , and so when I picked up Mandala at the Rummage sale this weekend I was looking forward to reading it. Pearl Buck's The Good Earth is an amazing book and being the optomist that I am, I was hoping for more of the same. I should have read the quote in the beginning before buying it:


Mandala

A schematized representation of the cosmos, chiefly
characterized by a concentric organization of geometric shapes, each of which
contains an image of a deity or an attribute of a deity. A symbol representing
the effort to reunify the self.


I read the first few pages at lunch today and knew this would not be for me. I may be old fashioned, but I want books on our shelves that any of our children can read also .

The idea that we as humans can actually reunify ourselves seems so desperate. The only unity worth having is the union that we share with our Savior when we believe upon His name. And in this there is no effort! He has done all the work! Blessed relief....to rest in HIM and know that I am now whole because of Him.

The good thing about bad books is that they always lead me back to the Best Book.




No comments: