Saturday

excercising artistic expression

My dear Anonimo has quirks....just like I do :) and I love him for these quirks and so much more.

When we married, Anonimo had a wooden dining room table that he prized. After his divorce he had little in the way of furnishings and this table was one of the first things he purchased at a second hand shop.

He would lovingly clean the table top and then apply oil to make it shine. He likes a clean tabletop...one where the light reflects off the finish of the wood.

I, on the other hand, treasure irregularities and mishaps. For me a table should tell a story of all the years it has sturdily sat and provided a place for the family to gather together. A scratch? No problem says I. A hot pan scorches the corner. Ahhhh, that will always be a memory says I.

Anonimo does not treasure the irregularities and mishaps. He prefers the restored, the symmetrical, the "nice".

For many months we had that dining room table and around it sat several mis-matched chairs. As much as I might like mis-matched, I did not like those chairs. We looked at furniture store after furniture store and were aghast at the cost of chairs. Neither of us could bring ourselves to spend so much on a matching set of chairs.

A few weekends ago we stopped at a yard sale. Sitting by the entrance was one dark wood chair with a blue covered seat. A small sign was propped on the seat: Chairs $5 each, Table $35. "May we see your dining room set?"

We walked inside the small house with a very nice older man. Immediately our eyes widened in surprise. What a perfect dining room set. Gorgeous wood. The legs of the table sturdy and yet artistic. 6 matching chairs, with one of them being a "papa chair". The table had always been covered with a table pad and so the wooden top was pristine.

Total price $65.

We went home and took down Anonimo's prized first table. When we took out the leaves it shrunk into a tiny round table and we all laughed in delight at this. The mismatched chairs went into the van to go to the dump.

Getting the new table into the house was quite a chore, but Anonimo and Sardius managed. As soon as it was set up , Anonimo gathered his rag and cleaning materials and began his "artistic exercise".

To watch him clean the table is like watching a performance. He is focused and concentrated on the task, his arms and hands sweep across the table. His stands back and carefully eyes the table from every position until he finally judges it "clean".

I smile everytime I see him do this. It could be the other way around....it could exasperate me. Thank you Father that it does not.

We both came out of first marriages where we did not know what it meant to appreciate our partner and love. This time we embrace instead of exasperate.

In many ways we are so incredibly different, but in so many other ways we are perfectly matched.

eHarmony took all of our quirks and all of our qualities and shook them around and computed: Anonimo for Aletheia, Aletheia for Anonimo.

It worked, quirks and all.

5 comments:

Sanctification said...

When I read this yesterday, I could do nothing but smile. It's is a joy to watch others engage in their own talents that God has given them.

I've never met anyone who was brought together by eharmony... that's pretty awesome, you two!

:D
Michele

Aletheia said...

it is pretty awesome!

another instance of faith, michele.
We knew without a doubt that God had used eharmony to bring us to each other.

We were matched and 3 months later we met for the first time and married that same day in a beautiful ceremony at the courthouse. It was my birthday :)

Our Father has been more than faithful every day .

faith really can move mountains

Sanctification said...

Aletheia, WHAT?

You seriously knew each other through eharmony and then married the same day you finally met face to face? That's rather romantic! How long have you been married now?

It reminds me of the most romantic story in the bible, in my opinion. Isaac and Rebekah.

Ben and I have been married for almost eight years.
Michele

Aletheia said...

Michele,

We have been married 2 1/2 years...but of course it feels like forever...in a good way :)

and yes, very romantic and I am extremely thankful

marriage can truly be a picture of what God desires in a relationship with us, and for that I am even more thankful for my marriage and what I have learned about Him.

Sanctification said...

Aletheia and Anonimo,

It was so good to "meet" you the other day! I was so surprised to discover that was the two of you. I was trying to figure out who it was and at first I wasn't sure, I believe I said something that I thought I was talking with your eldest daughter (who blogs). But after a bit I remembered that Anonimo was your husband. Then I was really excited to know it was YOU, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to interrupt class.

BTW, that class and format is something else!!

Anyway, blessings to your family....
Michele