Tuesday

Mr. Tooth Decay never sleeps

Sardius woke in the middle of the night in pain. "My teeth hurt". I was immediately pricked as I remembered that I should have taken him to the dentist month's ago to fix a cavity.

He got a little snack and took an advil and went right back to sleep.

I called the dentist and was able to get him in that day. As I left work to pick him up, I was so thankful that I have a job with flexibility (and good insurance).

The dentist worked on Sardius for over an hour and then called me in. "Now mother, I see here by this x-ray that Sardius was here last year and that we identified a cavity. I am not sure how this all slipped through the cracks, but you must remember- Mr. Tooth Decay never sleeps."

I , who hate correction or reproof, slightly simmered as his eyes gazed at me over his gauze mask. His jaw moved back and forth as he chewed his never-ending gum.

"ummm, yes."

And I walked away convicted of my pride and my procrastination. Sardius was just happy to have the tooth fixed .

Next stop was Walgreens to pick up wart medicine for his hands. We went to the pharmacist counter for a recommendation and Sardius held out his hands . The pharmacist spoke one word: "Wow."

For years he had severe eczema on his hands. Now he has wart upon warts. He bears all this beautifully. I know that I would not bear it as well. And I do not...for my warts do not show on my hands.....they attach themselves to my soul....and show in those moments when I least expect them.

Sardius' medicine will freeze off the warts in about 14 days.

What about my warts? Am I procrastinating in their removal?
What about my cavities? Am I allowing them to continue while I sleep?

I am not one to see an analogy in every situation....yet this one does hit home.

2 comments:

J. Wendell said...

Wow! You have style. I am cut to the heart. Thanks for your visit at my blog.

John

Aletheia said...

j. wendell,

thank you for coming over to visit with me :) and thank you for your compliments.

The same day that I wrote I am not one to see an analogy in every situation , I stopped at the gas station on the way home from work.

There was a line at the pump and I waited behind an old black dodge pickup. It had a camper shell and the tailgate was almost falling off and held to the camper shell with bungie cords and old rope.

Trash of every imaginable variety spilled out of the bulging camper. Empty pop bottles, rags, cardboard boxes...packed so tightly that I expected the cords to pop off at any moment.

I told my Dearly Beloved about it later as I shook my head.

"maybe he was on his way to the dump"

I looked at him in surprise...hmmm...on his way to the dump, well I guess that was a possibility. Why did I not think of that?

I just saw unkempt, unseemly, uncomfortable.

.....when I see a dear brother and sister or an unbeliever...do I immediately identify that they are "hanging on" to all their trash? Or do I recognize that perhaps, just perhaps they are on their way to the dump?

Whatever we all hang onto...let's hope we are headed to the dump!

Say hello to Rose for me ;) and treasure every moment with the kiddos.

A