Thursday

Yoda is a Republican

Last night Electrum took up his political theme again.
"Are you for McCain or Obama?"
"ummmm, I am not sure"
"I am for Obama! I don't Like McCain"
"Why is that?"
"Cuz I saw this thing and it said that McCain wants to turn all the lakes into parking lots"
choking down my laughter "well, we cannot always believe everything we read...just because someone wrote it, does not necessarily make it true."
"It is true! I saw it!"
"well......."
"You are for McCain!"
"I did not say that."
"you don't think it is true so you are for McCain"

When oh when will I learn to just say hmmm and unhuh etc?

Sardius pipes in "Mom, would you ever forget that you are a Christian and tell someone you are a muslim?"
"What!?, of course not."
"Obama did. "J" heard it on the radio"

"Boys, lets take a moment to talk about our reasoning skills and common sense. "

.................

After a while of productive conversation on discerning truth, Electrum propped his Yoda backpack up in his lap.
"Yoda is a Republican. He is part of the republic so he is a republican. He will vote for McCain."

We have been waiting for Emerald to finish volleyball practice. She bounces into the van and Electrum pounces.
"Are you for McCain or Obama?"
"Hunh? what?"
"Who are you for?! McCain or Obama"
"Neither"
"You have to be for one!
" No I don't, I am not old enough to vote, and well, I don't think about those things"
In an aside to me "why is he talking about this stuff?"
I shrug my shoulders

Electrum "Can I vote?"
"No honey, you have to be 18 to vote"
"Why?! I can vote. I know who I want"
"Well, the government has decided that 18 is the age that people can vote"
Electrum gives a big harrumph and slouches down in his seat with Yoda the Republican.

Emerald: "Do you know what John Quincy Adams and John Adams have in common?"
"They were father and son."
"Well duh, everybody knows that."
"Oh"
"They were both cranky presidents. They were cranky all the time"
"Hmmmmm, interesting" I say with raised eyebrows.

We are almost home.

Electrum: "I can't remember which one, maybe it was Al Franken or Bill Clinton, but they were murdered."
Sardius and Emerald in unison "Abraham Lincoln!"
Electrum , his face firmly set "no not him, I know it was Al Franken or Bill Clinton...somebody killed them. We have been talking about President's at school and my teacher said."

We all pile out of the van.

the joys of parenting?

2 comments:

Sanctification said...

Haa!

I love this one of course, the most:

"Yoda is a Republican. He is part of the republic so he is a republican. He will vote for McCain."

Aletheia said...

m,

thank you for visiting!

We have laughed over and over...the intensity of a 9 year old's political leanings can be fierce.

a